3/12/13

I Am Now Dead

I Am Now Dead
to my child, Jessica
                                                                 
All the words I wanted to say
I could not speak
Through your shouts,
Through the bitterness
Your tongue announced,
Condemning me like the Pharisees—me silent as Jesus.
I do not say I am Jesus.
I do say that my words could not be heard
Over the cinder blocks,
Over the unforgiving,
I      not knowing      what it was      I had done
So many years ago in your childhood.            I thought I was there,
I thought I gave my best.
Your grievance I cannot answer
Without the knowledge of the transgression
I am supposed to drown in.
It does not matter, now.                     I am dead.
I am dead,
Standing in the shallows
Of your baptism
Watching you,
Seeing your life crumble,
Wondering how it is my sin
That you are not happy.
I cannot give you happiness.
I cannot give you peace.
My responsibility ended when you became your own.
My time came back
Into existence upon the birth
Of an adult child.
However, none of this matters.
I am dead to you.
Since I am dead,
These words do not exist.
Forget what you read.
Forget me,
But know I will not forget you,
Know I will love you,
Know I will take the pain
In my death
Because you will always be

My child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers