1/16/10

Re Re-statement of Romance

after Wallace Stevens

On that which I disagree of night knowing nothing of romance:
it is true I am what I am, and the night belongs to the soul

and in perceiving this the night is more than background.

Two, only two can interchange the physical-ness, it is true,
to create One, but night penetrates between and inside,

the night becomes part of the One

The night and I, and night and you, I and you and night are alone.
So much of you and I above . . . never, the night knows much of us

deeply, just as it does of others; oh! so far beyond the romance we know.

The night surrounds and encompasses, engulfs our One self

supremely in all of night that travels and gathers

before the pale light where we three will be seen as three.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers